Thursday, March 20, 2008

Am I a bad influence...

...if my daughter is singing along to:

"If I get drunk,
Well I know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you"?

I made a mix CD of some of my favorite songs. Some of them I skip when she's in the car, like "Brickhouse," because I really don't think Rachel needs to sing about a woman built like a brickhouse. And "Tubthumping," with all the talk of pissing the night away and the various kinds of drinks they like to drink.

But I've let her hear "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers, and it's become one of her favorites on there, along with "Who Says You Can't Go Home" and now "Safety Dance." Most of the song is fine, and she hasn't been singing along with all of it, but today she did sing along with the "get drunk" lyrics, and I had to wonder if I'm being a bad Mom by letting her hear and sing with that one.

I think it's a fairly minor thing in the grand scheme of child-raising, but it still made me wonder a little.

No comments: