Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Who's Snowing Who Here?

In April, Rachel asked about the Easter Bunny.  She seemed to really want to know if we were the ones who filled her basket.  I told her that yes, Mommy & Daddy fill her Easter basket every year.  I expected that to be the beginning of a snowball effect where the true identities of Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy came out, too, but she dropped it after confirming the secret identity of just the Bunny.

Today we were on our way to a dental checkup for her when the following conversation occurred:

Rachel: (wiggling her tooth) I'm trying to get my tooth to fall out faster so the Tooth Fairy will come.  You know what I think?  I think you're the Tooth Fairy.  Daddy told me that you two are the Easter Bunny, and I think you're the Tooth Fairy.  (leaning forward) Are you?
Me: Yes, I'm the Tooth Fairy.
Rachel:  Are you guys Cupid?
Me: Yes, we're Cupid.
Rachel:  You're the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Cupid.  Everyone but Santa Claus.

Uh, what?  I'm trying to decide if she really does think that Santa Claus is the only genuine holiday character and we only pretend to be the others, or if she enjoys believing in Santa so much that she's purposely denying that he doesn't exist.  Or, option 3 - she realizes that if Santa doesn't exist, Santa gifts don't appear on Christmas morning in addition to the gifts from Mommy & Daddy.

I don't think she's crafty enough to have figured that out so quickly, unless this is something she's been thinking about for a while.  But even then, I don't think she would purposely pretend to be clueless just for the extra gifts.

Still, it makes one wonder.

No comments: