Thursday, November 11, 2004

To Sleep, Perchance To Dream

"People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one." ~Leo J. Burke

And I would say "Amen to that!" We had people over at our house last night and as a result, Rachel went to bed a little later than what we're trying for now. She then decided it would be great idea to wake up, oh, half a dozen times throughout the night. We kept soothing her back to sleep, but she woke up at around 3:45 and would have none of that. I fed her (which took half an hour) and tried to put her back in her cradle after she'd fallen asleep at the end of the feeding. Perhaps I should have just left her in bed with us, but I figured she'd get better sleep if I put her back in the cradle and she didn't wake up when we got up.

I needn't have worried about that, because she didn't end up falling back asleep until about 5:30, after a changing and several tries on our part to get her to fall asleep again. James finally put her in the crib in the nursery. She quieted down for a few minutes, then roused and did some more hollering. After laying there in frustration and nearly in tears thinking "Why won't she let me sleep?!", I finally got up shortly after 5:00 and just started to get ready for the day. It's so much easier to face the fussiness if you're not laying there trying to get some sleep.

You'd think I would be used to the sleep deprivation by now. You would be wrong.

No comments: