Sunday, April 13, 2008

1403

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.
- Revelation 22:21

Rachel was born 1,403 days ago. And after reading to her from the Bible almost every night, tonight I read the final four chapters of Revelation. There are 1,189 chapters. Some nights (like her first), it was a single sentence that I read. Other nights, like a few nights ago, seven chapters. I'd stop and she'd ask me to read more. She lay there quietly listening to the words, except to shout "Hosanna!" whenever I'd read "Hosanna." Some nights, it was a battle and not much was read. Other nights, I'd find myself re-reading a chapter I'd read the night before. There was a particularly challenging section of the Old Testament where I'd swear I read the same chapter night after night for five nights straight. Some kind of weird Groundhog Day or something. We skipped a week before Easter this year to do a study provided by the Director of Children's Ministries at church. And there were probably 3 or 4 nights where we just plain flat out forgot to read. (It wasn't always me, Lori read some as well.)

Perfect timing. Soon Ben will be born and I'll open it back up again at the beginning and start anew. Let's see if I can do it in less than 1,403 days.

No comments: