Monday, March 02, 2009

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

Rachel has discovered the world of lying. In the past, she's told us things that weren't true, but it seemed more that she didn't understand the line between truth and fiction and was pretty much just making up stories that were interesting or reasons that, while false, were a good use of her imagination.

A few weeks ago, I realized she had just told me a baldfaced lie. I don't remember what it was about, but since then, she's lied at least another half-dozen times. When I catch her lying, I talk with her about the importance of being honest and tell her that, if she keeps lying to us, we won't know when she's telling the truth and won't be able to trust her. It's a hard concept to teach to a young child, but hopefully with repetition it will start to sink in.

My friend Jenny asked if she's ever heard the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." She actually hasn't, and I think that's a great idea, so I'll be looking for that one at the library. I think a story like that can help her to grasp the concept since it shows a boy's lies and their consequences. It's obviously more extreme than any experience she would have, but I think it will do a good job of helping her to relate to what we're trying to teach.

Rachel certainly keeps us on our toes. I'm not sure what will come next or how we'll deal with it, but we just keep praying to God for wisdom in how we're raising her, and that she'll always know that we love her and that He loves her.

No comments: